Sunday, May 2, 2010

New York's Greatest Year

On occasion, I experience fits of homesickness. I try not to feel homesick. I mean, what kind of a grown ass man has the same psychological crutch as a toddler?... Don't answer that.

One of the good things about living in Philly is that I'm only 2 hours away on a bus. The bad thing is that it takes me 2 hours to get home. Anyway, as I was thinkin about New York, I got to thinkin...what was New York's greatest year?

The more I thought about it, the more the answer became clear to me. New York's greatest year was easily 1994.

Quick Recap as to why 1994 was Ali..."The Greatest of All Time."

1) Nas releases Illmatic.
2) The New York Rangers win the Stanley Cup. (The Islanders also make the playoffs)
3) The Notorious BIG releases Ready To Die.
4) The New York Knicks make it to the NBA Finals.
5) The New York Yankees have the best record in the AL before a strike hits.
6) Rudy Giuliani takes office as the mayor of NYC.

What exactly did Giuliani mean to the city of New York?

There is only 1 King of New York...who's not named Biggie.


I) He turned a city filled with crime and the distinction of being the murder capital of the US into a city that would eventually become the 2nd safest city in America with over 1,000,000 residents. According to our fantastic government, New York is the safest city among America's 25 most populated cities. None of this is possible without Giuliani's hyper-aggressive tactics against crime, organized and otherwise.

II) Rebuilds Times Square's image. If you don't know, do yo' research.

III) Extending healthcare for city employees.

IV) Lax immigration laws and believing in protecting illegal immigrants because he recognizes what they contribute to the economy.

V) Rudy was gangsta: "On January 13, 1999, Giuliani suggested a "reciprocal relationship" whereby other states such as Virginia were obligated to accept New York City's garbage in exchange for being able to visit New York City's cultural sights." - Wiki.


------
I Couldn't have said it better myself, Rudy.

Life was good in New York in '94...yes it was.

0 comments:

Post a Comment